The Latest on Doncaster Sheffield Airport
Owing to welcome developments, the fate of Doncaster Sheffield Airport (DSA) is now looking much brighter.
It has been over a year since the airport’s future was first called into question and in the intervening months, it has predictably dominated the news cycle. Indeed, there has been a great deal of public debate, campaigning and concerted work behind-the-scenes to try and find a solution here.
With this site having served local communities for upwards of two decades, it was hardly surprising that residents would feel so deeply invested in its survival and that they would rally behind the campaign to save it.
However, there was equally a lot of support from the private sector on this issue as well, with businesses recognising that the airport has a much wider strategic value for the entire region.
On that note, an economic impact report found that, if it were to reopen, DSA has the potential to generate around £1.56bn in net economic benefits (over the course of three decades), and thousands of jobs, through its catalytic effect on development sites and related industry activity.
Now, it appears that there is finally some light at the end of the tunnel as, real headway has been made in the negations with the airport’s current owners, Peel Group.
In fact, the council is on the cusp of agreeing a 100-year lease for the site. Meanwhile, they are also currently looking for a private sector partner who can operate the airport, in the event that it does get back up and running (which could feasibly be within the next two years).
More details about this can be found here.
News and Updates
- 20.09.2023 - Local Chamber of Commerce Celebrates Positive Update on DSA Negotiations
- 03/04/2023 - South Yorkshire Chambers Welcome News that Doncaster Council Is Intensifying the Fight to Save DSA
- 13/02/2023 - South Yorkshire Chambers and Business Organisations Write Open Letter to Transport Secretary Calling for Doncaster Sheffield Airport to be Protected
- 01/12/2022 - Chamber of Commerce Responds to DSA Legal Challenge Announcement
- 17/10/2022 - Northern Chambers of Commerce Write Letters to Prime Minister Calling for Intervention in DSA Negotiations
- 13/10/2022 - Doncaster Chamber Urges Peel to Seriously Consider Offers to Buy DSA
- 06/10/2022 - South Yorkshire Chambers Ask the Government to Clarify its Position on Saving Doncaster Sheffield Airport
- 04/10/2022 - Amidst Airport Uncertainty, Local Chamber Calls on Government to Choose Doncaster for Great British Rail HQ
- 26/09/2022 - Doncaster Chamber Responds to DSA Closure Announcement
- 09/09/2022 Update
- 02/09/2022 Update
- 26/08/2022 Update
- 19/08/2022 Update
- 05/08/2022 - Doncaster Chamber Calls for An End to Political Sparring Over Doncaster Sheffield Airport Review
- 13/07/2022 - Chamber Responds to News That Airport's Future Is In Doubt