Call for Doncaster businsses to support our mumsDecember 06, 2019We know mums have the legal right to breastfeed anywhere (2010 Equality Act) but many do not feel confident in doing so. The 'We Support Our Mums' scheme aims to make it easier for breastfeeding mums to recognise where they will be welcomed to breastfeed their babies whilst out and about in Doncaster.Venues across Doncaster including cafes, restaurants, libraries and leisure centres are all showing their support to this scheme. These are places where a mum can be assured that staff will be supportive of breastfeeding.Local businesses are encouraged to sign up to the pledge online https://www.doncaster.gov.uk/Eforms/BusGenEform/Index/1732 , and agree to:
Further to this, businesses who access the breastfeeding awareness training for their staff will become recognised as We Support Our Mums champions.
- Meet the criteria on the venue checklist
- Implement a breastfeeding policy
- Display the promotional materials provided (once your venue has been approved)
There are many benefits to signing up to We Support Our Mums:
For more details visit: https://www.doncaster.gov.uk/services/health-wellbeing/we-support-our-mums
- It makes a real improvement to customer/client service – training staff to be welcoming and helpful to a breastfeeding mum encourages them to be more welcoming, supportive and considerate to all customers. The boost to customer satisfaction and loyalty this creates can only be good for business.
- It can attract a new customer/client base – new mums will make special efforts to get to know other women in their situation. When they find a place that welcomes them to feed their babies, they pass on the good news and customer numbers grow as a result.
- It can improve your image and get you free publicity – when venues choose to welcome breastfeeding mums, they are making a positive contribution to public health, as well as demonstrating they are not motivated solely by profit. Businesses that sign up to We Support Our Mums will get publicity from being listed in the online directory, and also from word of mouth recommendations between families.
- It’s free to sign up to and you can get these benefits without having to spend a lot of money – the two most important factors mums appreciate most when breastfeeding out and about are a welcoming atmosphere and supportive staff.
Did you know? Members can submit their own news and events to be posted on our website. Log in to get started