Delivering to SEND Learners
Opportunities Doncaster are proud to be working with SEND schools throughout the borough to coordinate and deliver employability skills days, careers fairs and industry visits.
The needs of the pupils range between MLD to PMLD and some pupils may have behavioural challenges, and individual needs which will be supported by teaching staff.
In addition to the mainstream toolkit guidance for industry visits, careers fairs, and employability skills days, businesses should consider following when delivering to young people with additional needs:
- Break session down into small steps, include lots of visual resources and avoid talking at students for long periods of time.
- Ensure that written text and spoken language is appropriately differentiated to take into account the pupil's learning difficulties. The school will provide the support staff and any interpreters required.
- Base your delivery on everyday experiences that the pupils will readily understand and include pictures where possible.
- Include subtitles in videos shown for the deaf community.
- Ensure that key concepts and vocabulary are revisited and reused. Perhaps include a key for business terminology.
- Encourage pupils to present information in a variety of ways (think posters, presentations and role play).
- Recognise and reinforce effort and success by rewards and praise.
- Include an activity to maximise pupil engagement.
Interaction between businesses and education should be viewed as powerful, positive teaching tools that help enhance the social, personal and emotional development of all learners. Extra stimulation in new environments can be particularly beneficial to SEND pupils and can help teach life skills, build on social skills and improve independence and self-confidence.
"Schools and colleges should seek to help young people with SEND to aspire to a wide range of destinations and to realise these aspirations. Providing students with taster opportunities, work experience, mentoring, enterprise education, access to role models and inspiring speakers can all help to achieve this." - The SEND Gatsby Benchmark Toolkit, 2018